Are you a recent South Australian university graduate looking to contribute to the success of our state?
As part of the Department for Industry, Innovation and Science Graduate Program, you'll work in different areas of our agency - including skills and migration, small business and employment, science and creativity, innovation and entrepreneurship, and corporate services.
We’re looking to recruit graduates into the following areas:
- Data Analytics
Our people are our greatest asset in realising the Department’s goals, and we recognise the value in investing in and developing new talent through our graduate program.
As part our Graduate Program, you will experience:
A comprehensive induction to the Department including an overview of the Department and our Graduate Program, and introduction to key staff and senior executives.
Two twelve-month placements in different areas across the Department, plus project work that will challenge you to diversify your experience and skills and maximise your opportunity to learn about and contribute to the economic prosperity of South Australia.
Designed to offer a wide range of professional development opportunities to complement your placements across our Department.
You’ll study a Certificate IV in a relevant field that will support your on-the-job learning and allow you to integrate your study with your work.
As you start your career, our experienced public servants will support, mentor and guide you. You’ll also have a former graduate to help you settle into the Department, and support from members within your own team.
Build your professional networks, both within the Department and broadly across the public sector, and connect with and learn from senior employees and executives across our Department.
Employment in Adelaide for a period of 24 months with starting salary at the ASO3 classification ($63,681 - $67,868) per annum plus 9.5% superannuation.
Who we are looking for
We're looking for graduates from a range of study disciplines to work in the following areas:
Our Data Analytics graduates will be involved in areas such as data analysis and governance, business process and system improvement, and information technology services and support; and ideally will have a background in computer science, data analytics, data science, economics, information communication and technology, or mathematics.
Our Economics graduates will be involved in statistical analysis, research, and trend forecasting in areas such as the innovation ecosystem, the skilled labour market, and strategic policy development; and ideally will have a background in economics, finance, or statistical analysis.
Our Marketing graduates will be involved in areas such as digital and social media, stakeholder engagement, content creation, and, communications and marketing; and will ideally have a background in communications, marketing, media, or public relations.
Our Policy graduates will be involved in research, analysis, review, and project management in areas such as policy and legislation development, science and technology, entrepreneurialism, and workforce development; and ideally will have a background in a multi-disciplinary field such as arts, commerce, economics, entrepreneurship, innovation, international relations, law, political studies, or social sciences.
To be eligible to apply for the DIIS Graduate Program, you must meet the following minimum requirements. Applications that do not meet these criteria will not be considered.
- Must have completed a Bachelor or postgraduate degree within the last three years
- Must be a current citizen or permanent resident of South Australia
- Must not be a current employee of the South Australian Public Sector
- Must have completed their degree at an Australian university, or have their degree recognised as equivalent to an Australian qualification by Skilled & Business Migration.
How to apply
- Visit the Graduate Officer advertisement on I WORK FOR SA
- Read through the Graduate Officer Role Statement to get an understanding of what the role involves
- Submit a two-page maximum cover letter addressing the Key Selection Criteria outlined in the advertisement, as well as a copy of your résumé or CV and your most recent academic transcript
- All applicants will receive a response confirming their application has been received
- Graduate Officer Roles will become available on the I WORK FOR SA website in late 2021.
- All applications will be reviewed against the requirements for the role, and applicants will be shortlisted for further selection activities
- Shortlisted applicants may be asked to undertake a phone interview or a video interview at this stage of the selection process
- Applicants who are shortlisted for face-to-face interviews will be invited to attend a one-hour interview with the graduate selection panel at DIIS’ main office in the Adelaide CBD
- Shortlisted applicants may also be asked to undertake a pre-interview activity relevant to their university studies.
- Applicants who have progressed to the next stage of the selection process may be asked to undertake psychometric testing to confirm their suitability for the graduate role
- Applicants’ nominated referees will also be contacted at this stage
- At this stage, successful applicants will be advised that they have been nominated for a position (this does not constitute an employment offer) and will be asked to complete a Department of Human Services Screening Check.
- Following a successfully completed Screening Check, formal offers of employment will be made to successful applicants.
I have a postgraduate degree (including Graduate Certificate, Graduate Diploma, Masters degree, or PhD), am I eligible to apply?
Yes, provided it has been completed within the past three years. Please see our ‘Who we are looking for’ section for further details.
I have a Diploma/Advanced Diploma, am I eligible to apply?
No – applicants must have a minimum three-year Bachelor degree to be eligible to apply.
Is there an age limit for applicants?
No. Applications from graduates of all ages will be considered and DIIS has traditionally hired graduates from a diverse range of backgrounds and life experiences.
If I am successful in being offered a graduate position, can I defer until the following year?
No. Offers for the graduate program are only valid for the intake process that applicants originally applied for and you would need to reapply for the following years’ intake.
I was unsuccessful in my application – can I request feedback on my application?
Yes, however feedback cannot be provided until the selection process has been completed.
When does the graduate program start?
The graduate program is anticipated to begin early 2022.
What are the working hours? Where are the positions based?
The positions are generally full-time (37.5 hours per week), however successful applicants will be able to negotiate flexible working arrangements, including part-time hours. All positions are located in the Adelaide CBD.
How long is the graduate program/contract?
Graduates will be employed for 24 months.
What is the salary for the position?
Successful applicants will be employed at the ASO3 classification (currently ($63,681 - $67,868 plus 9.5% superannuation).
How are rotational placements decided?
Graduate placements are decided upon according to the business needs of the Department, the skills and experience of the graduate, and the developmental opportunities available for the graduate. This ensures that the Department can continue to meet its strategic and operational requirements, and provides our graduates with opportunities to work and develop across different areas of the Department.
Is there a formal study component to the graduate program?
Yes – all graduates take part in completing a Certificate IV in a field relevant to their work as part of the program. Please see the ‘Program Overview’ section for further details.
What happens after my 24-month contract?
Subject to business requirements and successful completion of the graduate program, DIIS will seek to offer term or ongoing employment to graduates at the end of their initial contracts.